torsdag 19 juli 2012

A Cinderella Story

Last week I turned 25 and a couple of months earlier I had been really excited about it seeing as it coincided with a day that most of the people would be around. I had imagined that I would arrange a dinner or something and just have a good time with everyone.

But as some of you may know, my health has been a major problem because of a knee infection that sent me to hospital for a week. My illness has consumed a lot of energy and I have been super stressed-out about work trying to make up for lost time.Because of this I lacked both time and energy to arrange anything at all and foresaw that I would spend my birthday running from one thing to the other and still being unable to finish off everything that was on my to do list.

My birthday came, people congratulated me and one of my Spanish friends even sang to me, which I really appreciated. By this time I had really brought my expectations down and had gotten used to the idea that it really would not be a big deal.

In the evening, when I came back from the market, I found Eve alone in the kitchen with too huge pots cooking cauliflower and broccoli. The rest of the house was deserted and when I asked where everyone was she told me sheepishly that she did not know.

Soon enough everyone came back and the action was on. I was kicked out from the dining room and there was feverish activity in the kitchen. When I was let back in, the dining room was decorated with balloons and glitter. Everyone was seated at the table and Eve had cooked a delicious dinner of risotto and broccoli and cauliflower gratin. Someone gave me a clown nose, a crown, a whistle and a pair of oversized sun glasses.

After dinner, they gave me a cake with a candle and I was sung to in all of the languages represented in the room. I was so moved I was almost in tears. Finally, a piñata was hung in the garden. I could not make myself destroy it so I decided to give it some urgent surgery and cut a hole in its stomach to be able to reach in and pull out the candy and the glitter inside it.

With this entry I really would like to thank all of you who were involved in planning and celebrating my birthday. I was such a great surprise and I was so moved by all the work and love. Thank you so much!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar